Tuesday 3 December 2013

NOTD: Essie | Aperitif | + a dupe!


A while ago I went to a fancy dress party as Alice in Wonderland and was in search of the perfect red nail varnish. I knew I had a few different shades at home but at this point I was (and still am) a little obsessed with the Gelly range by Barry M. I picked up their slightly misleadingly named 'Blood Orange' red shade and then realised once I got home and compared it to my other rouge toned varnishes that it was basically exactly the same as one I already had from Essie - doh! 

The main reason I didn't return it however is because of the different formula. While Essie's 'Aperitif' is a classic 3 shades and you're golden job, with the Barry M Gelly range you can get away with a one coat super glossy manicure. In both cases the shade is a slightly orange toned red and that isn't where the similarities end. They also have very similar brushes in width and design, with Essie's being just a little more square.

If you are on a budget or looking for a fuss free and quick mani then go for the dupe. But if you do have those extra pennies and time or are just a bit of a nail varnish snob then the Essie is fabulous too. There is something luxe and special about applying an Essie polish and I'm pleased to have it part of my collection. The formula is a little more easy to control as it is thinner and therefore means you can build up more layers and have in theory a longer lasting paint job. 

Two reds for two different occasions - which would you pick? xxx

14 comments:

  1. I have this Barry M polish! I have a few Essie nail polishes, but they are definitely reserved for special occasions!These two polishes look exactly the same however, good for Barry M - not so much for Essie, although it all depends on the wear and what lasts longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have this barry m polish and i love it mainly because of the formula!:)the belly hi shines are my favs!im now following your blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd pick the Essie one, think their polishes last longer than Barry M on my nails. Great dupe though xx
    www.dolleduplondon.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Barry M polishes I have them in so many colours! This colour is gorgeous too. I really want some Essie polishes but I just cannot justify the price!
    xxx

    www.salted-roses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should keep a look out in to Max's that is normally where I get mine if poss! Xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh wow you found a fab dupe! I personally prefer Barry M polishes anyway, they're all so cheap and long lasting too xx

    Gem // Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore both brands!
    http://anikamiller.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty color !! Happy Holidays doll !! Would you like to follow each other on GFC and on Bloglovin :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas :) I will check out your blog and you are free to follow mine if you like the content :) xxx

      Delete
  8. I love the colour of both of these, definitely going to pick up the Barry M one! xxx

    Charli | Secrets Behind The Closet Door

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read every single one! Make sure to check back or subscribe for email updates as I always reply, especially if it is a question. xxx

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs